Statement of Purpose:
The Wake Forest School of Medicine (WFSM) Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI) Program in Community Engagement (PCE) is seeking applications for a 12-month Community-engaged Research Fellowship beginning in August 2019. Applications should be submitted from teams comprised of a community partner and a WFSM research partner.
Translational science is the process of turning scientific discoveries into practical applications with potential to improve health. The CTSI PCE facilitates collaboration among community members, representatives from community organizations, community healthcare providers and practitioners, and academic researchers in translational science. A goal of the PCE and this Community-engaged Research Fellowship is to build, sustain, and expand the interest and capacity of community members and WFSM researchers to collaborate in translational science. The Community-engaged Research Fellowship supports representatives from community organizations and WFSM researchers to build a community-engaged research partnership. The goal of the Fellowship is to nurture existing, and/or facilitate the establishment of, a community-engaged research partnership through trust building, skills development, and co-learning. The community partner will learn about research design, proposal development, and skills that might enhance operations and build organizational capacity (e.g., program development and evaluation). The WFSM research partner will learn how community organizations prioritize, function, and overcome obstacles and how community-engaged research can be implemented in community settings. To facilitate collaboration and support the partnership, both the community partner and the WFSM research partner will have access to PCE resources and expertise.
The following elements are required for successful application for this internship:
1. The Community Partner and WFSM Research Partner will collaborate to complete the joint Community-engaged Research Fellowship Application.
2. Community Partner
- A representative from a community organization will partner with a WFSM researcher
- The community partner will spend 10% of their time (paid for by WFSM) to work with the WFSM research partner for 12 months.
- A letter of support from the community partner’s supervisor or Board of Directors (if the organization partner is the Executive Director) affirming that 10% of their time will be made available to participate in the Community-engaged Research Fellowship for the 12-month period.
3. WFSM Research Partner
- A WFSM researcher will partner with a representative from a community organization.
- The WFSM research partner will spend 10% of their time (paid for by WFSM) to work with the community partner for 12 months.
- A letter of support from the WFSM research partner’s Department Chair documenting that 10% of their time will be made available to participate in the Community-engaged Research Fellowship experience for the 12-month period.
Applications (including letters of support) are due by 5:00 pm on Monday, July 1, 2019.
For questions contact:
Keena Moore, CHES, Health Educator
Program in Community Engagement, Clinical Translational Science Institute
Wake Forest School of Medicine