The Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC) provides a venue for many research funding opportunities for Wake Forest faculty. As the competition for NIH and foundation grants and contracts continues to increase, it is prudent to take advantage of all available grant mechanisms. Nationally, the VA provides over $630 million in medical research dollars. The VA research division has three key areas where Wake Forest faculty should consider collaborations with the VA (See below for locations) for grant applications: (1) Merit Review Grants (similar to NIH R01 grants); (2) Career Development Awards for junior investigators (similar to NIH K awards); and (3) specialty-themed intermittent grants that arise throughout the fiscal year. The pay lines for VA awards are generally much higher than those at the NIH and other funding institutions. For example, Merit Review grants are presently being funded at approximately the 20 percent level. Learn more.
Why should I work with the VA?
- Helping Veterans by offering research participation to them
- Increased potential subject population
- Additional funding source
- Career development
- Extensive databases for epidemiology research (VA has had electronic medical records for years)
- Opportunities for collaboration with other investigators
- If you are interested in collaborating with other Wake Forest investigators who have appointments at the VA, please contact Dr. Robin Hurley or Amy Morris for a list of investigators with existing appointments at the VA. Wake Forest faculty from the following centers and groups have conducted and/or are currently conducting research at the VA:
- WF Comprehensive Cancer Center
Please visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Office of Research & Development for more information.
Wake Forest Affiliated VAMC Sites
Charlotte Health Care Center
3506 West Tyvola Road
Charlotte, NC 28208
Kernersville Health Care Center
1695 Kernersville Medical Parkway
Kernersville, NC 27284
Salisbury VA Medical Center
1601 Brenner Avenue
Salisbury, NC 28144
For questions related to research at any of these sites, please contact
Amy Morris at 704-638-9000 (ext. 14295) or