The Medical Student Research Program (MSRP) is a 9-week, full-time summer research experience for Wake Forest School of Medicine students. Selection is through a competitive process. Participants work with a faculty mentor to conduct a small research project in basic, clinical, or community-based research and participate in a weekly research ethics seminar series.
- A modest stipend is provided in accordance with NIH funding guidelines. The MSRP covers funding for stipends.
- Students will work on their projects for 40 hours a week for 9 weeks. Attendance is also required at additional
didactic and experiential activities related to the responsible conduct of
research, protocol submission and approval, scientific communication, and
talking with patients about clinical research.
- All students are required to present their research poster at Medical Student Research Day, held each October.
- Faculty sponsors, agreeing to supervise the project and provide necessary space, supplies, equipment, and monitoring, serve as mentors for MSRP participants.
- Faculty interested in serving as mentors will submit brief project descriptions that are shared with all medical students in January of each year. Students can choose a project from this list or develop an idea of their own.
- To obtain a research fellowship, the student must submit an application that will be evaluated on the potential quality of the research training experience. Applications will be available early in 2017.
- The 2017 program beings on May 22, 2017 and ends on July 21, 2017. Required orientation will be held on May 22, 2017.
2017 MSRP Applicant Resources
Visit the MSRP Applicant Resources page to view the Research Opportunities list, Application Guidelines, link to the online Application form and other documents. Login required.
2017 MSRP Dates & Deadlines
Jan 5: Informational Meeting
Feb 13: MSRP Application Deadline
Mar 16: Students Notified Acceptance Status
May 22: Orientation/Start Day of MSRP
July 21: Last Day of MSRP
Oct 4: Medical Student Research Day (Keynote & Poster Exhibit)
Tom Roth - CTSI Education Coordinator for MSRP
Anita Pulley, MSN - CTSI Education Director
Timothy Peters, MD - MSRP Director