The purpose of this program is to increase support to eligible Wake Forest School of Medicine early-career faculty and provide an extended period of time for these individuals to reach the 65% extramurally funded research effort expectation.
Faculty interested in applying for Early-Career Salary Support must meet the following criteria:
- Research-intensive (50% or greater research effort) tenure-track, clinician scholar, or education scholar, early-career faculty; and
- Completed the start-up phase defined in their offer letters.
Note: This program does not apply to faculty still within their start-up phase or contingent faculty.
There are two categories with different extramural funding expectations:
- Faculty at the rank of assistant professor for 7 years or less and have not received a K-Award are eligible for a reduced extramural funding expectation. Faculty members in this category are expected to support 50% of their research effort with extramural funds.
- Faculty within 2 years after completion of a Career Development Award (e.g. K08, K23, KL2, etc.) are eligible for a reduced extramural funding expectation. Faculty members in this category are expected to support 25% of their research efforts with extramural funds.
||Salary Bridge Start Date
|May 1, 2018
||July 1, 2018
|July 1, 2018
||October 1, 2018
|October 1, 2018
||January 1, 2019
|January 1, 2019
||April 1, 2019
The faculty member's department chair should provide the first level of review for Early-Career Salary Support requests. Then, if appropriate, the Chair will submit the Early-Career Salary Support Application on behalf of the faculty member following the instructions below.
Early-Career Salary Support Application Materials Due on required date above by 11:59 pm.
Department Chairs can submit the Early-Career Salary Support Application on behalf of the faculty member through the Early-Career Salary Support Application. Application instructions are summarized below.
- Faculty name, department, rank, faculty track (data enter)
- Upload the following documents individually:
- Completed fillable PDF addressing the following requirements:
- Please provide background on the salary bridge funding candidate (funding history, publication record, quality, submission record, etc.).
- Please describe plans for extramural grant submissions in this fiscal year (what is the plan to meet extramural funding expectations?).
- Please share any additional information or extenuating circumstances, if applicable.
- Updated CV
- Effort Calculation Table (update green cells, as needed)
The Chief Science Officer, Vice President of Research Administration and Operations, and the Chair of the Intramural Research Support Committee will review applications and make the decision about whether or not to fund the application. The department chair will attend this meeting to participate in the discussion and decision. Dean Freischlag will review all decisions.
Funded Early-Career Salary Support Maintenance/Review
Twice per year, all extant early-career salary support recipients will be reviewed to determine whether or not continued funding is justified. There will be no re-application necessary for faculty with early-career salary support needs extending across fiscal years, however additional information on progress may be requested during bridge periods.
Questions about your early-career salary support request or the application process should be directed to Lindsay Trost at firstname.lastname@example.org.