The mission of the Implementation Science Affinity Group is to engage and support investigators in the area of dissemination and implementation research. Our goal is to translate evidence-based, clinical and health promotion strategies into real world settings.
- National Cancer Institute Implementation Science
Division of Cancer Control & Population Sciences has an Implementation Science Team that engages in a variety of activities to advance research and practice in implementation science. The vision and mission of the team is to, “achieve the rapid integration of scientific evidence, practice and policy, with the ultimate goal of improving the effect of research on cancer outcomes and promoting health across individual, organizational and community levels.”
- NC TraCS Institute Implementation Science Exchange
Hosts an Implementation Science Exchange that provides resources to support implementation science research projects. Resources include websites, guides, toolkits and sample grant applications. The portal is particularly geared toward those new to implementation science related research.
- Society for Implementation Research Collaboration
The Society for Implementation Research Collaboration (SIRC) aims to facilitate collaboration between implementation research teams. The SIRC hosts a biennial conference on implementation science and shares publications, presentations and methods via their website.
- Implementation Science Webinars from the National Cancer Institute
Upcoming webinars are announced online, and archived webinars are also available online to the public.
- "Concocting the Magic Elixir: Successful Grant Application Writing in Dissemination and Implementation Research”
Ross Brownson, Graham Colditz, Maureen Dobbins, Karen Emmons, Jon Kerner, Margaret Padek, Enola Proctor, and Kurt Stange, Clinical and Translational Science 8(6): 710-716, Dec. 2015.
- “Writing implementation research grant proposals: ten key ingredients”
Enola Proctor, Byron Powell, Ana Baumann, Ashley Hamilton, and Ryan Santens, Implementation Science 7(96), 2012.
- "Building Capacity for Dissemination and Implementation Research: One University's Experience"
Ross C. Brownson, Enola K. Proctor, Douglas A. Luke, Ana A. Baumann, Makenzie Staub, Matthew T. Brown, and Mallory Johnson. Implementation Science
- "Clinical Practice Guideline: Implementation Strategies: A Summary of Systematic Reviews by the NHLBI Implementation Science Work Group"
Wiley V. Chan, Thomas A. Pearson, Glen C. Bennett, William C. Cushman, Thomas A. Gaziano, Paul N. Gorman, Joel Handler, Harlan M. Krumholz, Robert F. Kushner, Thomas D. MacKenzie, Ralph L. Sacco, Sidney C. Smith, Victor J. Stevens, Barbara L. Wells, Graciela Castillo, Susan K.R. Heil, Jennifer Stephens, Julie C. Jacobson Vann. Journal of American College of Cardiology 69:8, 2017.
- “Effectiveness-implementation Hybrid Designs: Combining Elements of Clinical Effectiveness and Implementation Research to Enhance Public Health Impact”
Geoffrey Curran, Mark Bauer, Brian Mittman, Jeffrey Pyne, and Cheryl Stetler, Medical Care 50(3), Mar. 2012.
- "Knowledge Translation and Implementation Science in Health Professions Education: Time for Clarity?"
Aliki Thomas and Andre Bussieres. Academic Medicine, 2016.
- “Measuring factors affecting implementation of health innovations: a systematic review of structural, organizational, provider, patient, and innovation level measures”
Stephanie Chaudoir, Alicia Dugan, and Colin Barr, Implementation Science 8(22), 2013.
- “Mixed Methods for Implementation Research: Application to Evidence-Based Practice Implementation and Staff turnover in Community-Based Organization Providing Child Welfare Services”
Gregory Aarons, Danielle Fettes, David Sommerfeld, and Lawrence Palinkas, Child Maltreatment 17(1): 67-69, 2012.
- "Use of Concept Mapping to Characterize Relationships Among Implementation Strategies and Assess their Feasibility and Importance: Results from the Expert Recommendations for Implementing Change (ERIC) Study"
Thomas J. Waltz, Byron J. Powell, Monica M. Matthieu, Laura J. Damschroder, Matthew J. Chinman, Jeffrey L. Smith, Enola K. Proctor, and JoAnn E. Kirchner. Implementation Science 10:109, 2015.
- "Why (We Think) Facilitation Works: Insights from Organizational Learning Theory"
Whitney Berta, Lisa Cranley, James W. Dearing, Elizabeth J. Dogherty, Janet E. Squires, and Carol A. Estabrooks. Implementation Science 10:141, 2015.
- Consolidated Framework for Implementation Research
- Dissemination & Implementation Models in Health Research & Practice
- VA Quality Enhancement Research Initiative (QUERI) Implementation Guide
- “Outcomes for Implementation Research: Conceptual Distinctions, Measurement Challenges, & Research Agenda”
Enola Proctor, Hiie Silmere, Ramesh Raghavan, Peter Hovmand, Greg Aarons, Alicia Bunger, Richard Griffey, and Melissa Hensley, Administration and Policy in Mental Health 38: 65-76, 2011.
- "Outcomes for Implementation Science: An Enhanced Systematic Review of Instruments Using Evidence-Based Rating Criteria"
Cara C. Lewis, Sarah Fischer, Bryan J. Weiner, Cameo Stanick, Mimi Kim, and Ruben G. Martinez. Implementation Science 10:155, 2015.
- “Toward the Effective and Efficient Measurement of Implementation Fidelity”
Sonja K. Schoenwald, Ann F. Garland, Jason Chapman, Stacy Frazier, Ashli Sheidow, and Michael Southam-Gerow, Administration and Policy in Mental Health 38(1): 32-43, Jan. 2011.
- "Evidence-Based De-Implementation for Contradicted, Unproven, and Aspiring Healthcare Practices"
Vinay Prasad and John PA Ioannidis. Implementation Science 9:1, 2014.
- “The sustainability of new programs and innovations: a review of the empirical literature and recommendations for future research”
Shannon Wiltsey Stirman, John Kimberly, Natasha Cook, Amber Calloway, Frank Castro, and Martin Charns, Implementation Science 7(17), 2012.
- “A Systematic Review of Strategies for Implementing Empirically Supported Mental Health Interventions”
Byron Powell, Enola Proctor, and Joseph Glass. Research on Social Work Practice 24(2): 192-212, Mar. 2014.
- "Changing Clinical Practice Through Patient Specific Reminders Available at the Time of the Clinical Encounter: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis"
Tim A. Holt, Margaret Thorogood, and Frances Griffiths. Journal of General Internal Medicine 27(8): 974-84, 2012
- "Factors Influencing the Implementation, Adoption, Use, Sustainability and Scalability of eLearning for Family Medicine Specialty Training: A Systematic Review Protocol"
Ziva Cotic, Rebecca Rees, Petra A. Wark, and Josip Car. Systematic Reviews 5: 179, 2016.
- "Factors Influencing the Implementation, Adoption, Use, Sustainability and Scalability of mLearning for Medical and Nursing Education: A Systematic Review Protocol"
Charmaine Krishnasamy, Sik Yin Ong, Yvonne Yock, Issac Lim, Rebecca Rees, and Josip Car. Systematic Reviews 5: 178, 2016.
- "Next Steps for Promoting Evidence-Based Cancer Control"
Ross C. Brownson, J Public Health Management Practice 22(5): 450-451, 2016.
- "No More 'Business As Usual' with Audit and Feedback Interventions: Towards an Agenda for a Reinvigorated Intervention"
Noah M. Ivers, Anne Sales, Heather Colquhoun, Susan Michie, Robbie Foy, Jill J. Francis, and Jeremy M. Grimshaw. Implementation Science 9:14, 2014.
- "Role of Champions in the Implementation of Patient Safety Practice Change"
Stephanie Soo, Whitney Berta, and G. Ross Baker. Healthcare Quarterly 12: 123-8, 2009.
- "The Role of the Champion in Primary Care Change Efforts: From the State Networks of Colorado Ambulatory Practices and Partners (SNOCAP)"
Eric K. Shaw, Jenna Howard, David R. West, Benjamin F. Crabtree, Donald E. Nease, Brandon Tutt, and Paul A. Nutting. Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine 25(5): 676-85, 2012.
- "Using Evidence-Based Interventions to Improve Cancer Screening in the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program"
Amy DeGroff, Aundrea Carter, Kristy Kenney, Zachary Myles, Stephanie Melillo, Janet Royalty, Ketra Rice, Lindsay Gressard, and Jacqueline Miller. J Public Health Management Practice 22(5): 442-449, 2016.
- Case Study: Applying Implementation Science to Practice Transformation in Diabetes Type II Care
Developed by Dr. Kristie Foley
- Focus 1: Implementing Team-Based Care for Type II Diabetes Management
- Focus 2: Implementing Patient Education to Support Self-Management
- Focus 3: Implementing Information Systems to Improve Diabetes Care
Supplemental Information for Focus 3
- Focus 1: Implementing Team-Based Care for Type II Diabetes Management